Friday, July 30, 2010

Spin Soft


I took a look through the summer issue of Spin Off yesterday, and I was pretty impressed with it!  Two articles stood out - the first was an excellent article about making boucle yarns by Jacey Boggs.  If you're familiar with Jacey Boggs, you might expect felted eyeballs in every yarn she makes.  But all that talent makes gorgeous boucle, too!  Sadly, at my skill level, her yarns are just eye candy. (sorry)

The other, "Light and Smooth Yarns from Worsted Preparations," was a goldmine for me!  Reading that worsted spinning (the inchworm technique, my favorite) is supposed to create dense and heavy yarn has always saddened me.  Isn't there a happy medium where I can get smoothness and durability but keep it light?  This article has the answer and it led to this:

BFL in Petroglyph by Lisa Souza

Well, the difference is mainly in the feel.  You have to trust me on this.

The yarn is for this project, a design-on-the-fly shawl I will eventually finish.  (It helps that I've finished all the spinning for it!)

All the same colorway, honest!  The top section and two balls are merino, the rest is BFL.

And the new skein compared to the others?  Much lighter, with a very pleasant squish.
~~~
I "attended" a webinar on how to build the perfect Yelp business listing.  If you're not familiar with Yelp, it's review site that I use to find new restaurants, stores, doctors, everything.  I actually didn't change anything on our profile, though - what do you think?

Llama Llama Knit on Yelp

We're always striving to improve. :)

1 comment:

Renee said...

I'm loving spin-off myself, will have to try the worsted thing. And a great shawl in progress!